Saturday, May 4, 2013

Liberia bound!

Well here it is. It's finally here! I am in the airport ready to board a plane to NY and from there to Africa. This is the most insane feeling. I feel so overwhelmed with joy and love and thanks! Plus I can't wait to experience Liberian culture and people!!

I hate leaving my friends and family behind. And I definitely think I have the most amazing group of loved ones, maybe I'm bias but still. But I feel like I have such a great support system in the States that if makes it easier to leave. Knowing that no matter what happens, I have people at home cheering me on. It's one of the best feelings.

I feel like I have so much gainable knowledge and available opportunity waiting on me in Africa! I can't wait to learn from all of the people there, and I hope that I am able to contribute some of my knowledge back. I also hope I have the opportunity to talk about religion while I am there. I obviously want to be able to show it as well. The motto is "peach the gospel in all that you do and use words when necessary". But I'm worried about the conflict it may cause if I ask too many questions.

Liberia is a very conflicted region. They just got out of the most vicious and awful civil war that I've ever heard of. And so there is still incredible tension and pain caused by that. Plus they are about 1/3 Christian. 1/3 Muslim. And 1/3 "secret society". Which I don't know much about but I know it's pretty vicious as well. We aren't allowed to ask people who are in the secret society about their beliefs which worries me, but I know it will be alright.

I know that God will put it in my heart when to speak about Him and when not to. Plus worst case, I end up a martyr. And who doesn't want that? I'm with Paul on this one: "For me, to live is Christ and to die is gain".

Peace and love America, see you in two weeks. ✈

No comments:

Post a Comment